Andrew Cuomo, Governor of NY is known for his brash style, bullying, covid response (including nursing home tragedy) and pushing sweeping gun control across N.Y. state. The latter actually passed through the legislature in the middle of the night, without time for legislators to read and with spokespersons misleading right up until completion. The slick portrayal of the “Safe Act” (2013) deprives N.Y. residents of full gun ownership rights. N.Y. residents had almost no awareness of what passed until it was complete.
Elected officials who act in this manner are often labeled as tyrants, or dictators as they prevent dissent, use the media to control the message and response while penalizing the innocent instead of the guilty. Conservative New Yorkers have fought for repeal and litigation continues despite little chance of success.
Communist dictators in China, the Soviet Union, North Korea have done the same as have other brutal regimes across Latin American, Africa and Asia. In Nazi Germany, Jewish citizens were disarmed using ‘the law’ before other civil rights and opportunities were removed. As we pointed out on Monday, http://therepublic1776.com/2021/02/22/your-cell-phone-restricted/, the British went to Lexington and Concord in 1775, to seize the guns and ammunition of revolutionary militias.
With extreme gun control bills introduced last month in the U.S. House, the gun control push has resumed after four years of pro-2nd Amendment rights under the Trump Administration with a mostly divided Congress. Because the U.S. Senate is divided 50-50 and Vice President Harris is the tie-breaker vote, comprehensive gun control legislation is not likely to pass. A small number of vocal Democrats like Sen. Manchin would have to alienate constituents and break promises to join the ranks of the anti-gunners who label themselves as common sense reformers and advocates for safety. Instead expect one or more of the following to occur in the next two years:
1- Mandatory Federal Background Checks
2- Executive Orders
3- Signing on to the United Nations Small Arms Treaty
Background check legislation is likely to gain almost all Democratic and some Republican votes in the Senate and move to the White House for signing. Expect a ban on private sales and transfers with possible limits on frequency. A similar bill passed the U.S. House on 2/27/2019:
Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019
This bill establishes new background check requirements for firearm transfers between private parties (i.e., unlicensed individuals).
Specifically, it prohibits a firearm transfer between private parties unless a licensed gun dealer, manufacturer, or importer first takes possession of the firearm to conduct a background check.
The prohibition does not apply to certain firearm transfers, such as a gift between spouses in good faith.
Breitbart News noted on 2/21/2021 that the following mass shooters all purchased guns through federal background checks:
- Virginia Beach attacker (May 31, 2019)
- Poway Synagogue attacker (April 27, 2019)
- Tree of Life Synagogue attacker (October 27, 2018)
- Parkland high school attacker (February 14, 2018)
- Texas church attacker (November 5, 2017)
- Las Vegas attacker (October 1, 2017)
- the Alexandria attacker (June 14, 2017))
- Orlando attacker (June 12, 2016)
- the UCLA gunman (June 1, 2016))
- the San Bernardino attackers (December 2, 2015)
- the Colorado Springs attacker (October 31, 2015)
- the Umpqua Community College attacker (October 1, 2015)
- Alison Parker’s attacker (August 26, 2015)
- the Lafayette movie theater attacker (July 23, 2015)
- the Chattanooga attacker (July 16, 2015)
- the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal attacker (Jun 17, 2015)
- the Muhammad Carton Contest attackers (May 3, 2014)
- the Las Vegas cop killers (June 9, 2015)
- the Santa Barbara attacker (May 23, 2014)
- the Fort Hood attacker (April 2, 2014)
- the Arapahoe High School attacker (December 13, 2013)
- the D.C. Navy Yard attacker (September 16, 2013)
- the Aurora movie theater attacker (July 20, 2012)
- Gabby Giffords’ attacker (January 8, 2011)
- the Fort Hood attacker (November 5, 2009)
- the Virginia Tech attacker (April 16, 2007)
Executive orders are likely already planned as President Biden can use federal agencies like the ATF to regulate gun trafficking and oversee the gun industry through regulation. The ATF will also enforce the National Firearms Act and can redefine accessories, rifle, pistol and shotgun types and require background checks for “ghost guns”, currently unregulated builds of gun components purchased separately and not tracked in a gun database.
The United Nations seeks to create and enforce INTERNATIONAL arms control adherence for countries that sign on to the U.N. Arms Control Treaty, which regulates military weaponry, but also impacts civilian ownership in member countries. Signed by Obama in 2013, it was never ratified by a Republican-controlled Senate. Should Biden follow suit, he may obligate Americans to relinquish:
-non-military possession of “military” style arms
– no magazines with over a 10 round capacity
-no bullets over .45 caliber
Create requirements to:
-license and register all firearms
-create mandatory training and storage rules
-impose purchase waiting periods
-impose age limits on purchases of guns and ammunition.
-require demonstrated need for purchases / possession
One of the past and present opponents of this international gun control scheme is Senator Rand Paul. He helped kill it in the Senate previously and will hopefully help do so again. The difference this time is the Senate composition in favor of Democrats. https://www.paul.senate.gov/news/dr-rand-paul-introduces-resolution-remove-un-arms-trade-treaty-us-senate
We can BET one or more of the above plans will become reality.
Get any children you know on the path to gun safety! The NRA teaches gun safety with Eddie Eagle!